Shenstone Grange, Balsall Street
Listed detached house dating from the 17th century. View from road only.
The original building at Shenstone Grange was a two-storey, three-bay timber framed house, dating from the C17. Of interest is the timber used is probably French oak as used in the construction of the Spanish Armada with many timbers showing prior uses in ship construction.
It was probably a farmstead, in an isolated situation in open countryside alongside the main road access to Balsall Common. By the mid C19 the farming use had presumably ceased: by 1887, the main range has an additional bay to the north and a single storey cross wing to the rear; and c.1901, the house, now situated in the village but still surrounded by a large landholding, was substantially extended, creating a new main range fronting the road. By the later C20, having become surrounded by modern suburban houses, and its land having dwindled to around half an acre, it was extended again, creating a second storey at the rear.